Return to Previous Page
January 10, 2014
Legal Administration 5
Justice and Solicitor General
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General has a permanent opportunity for a Paralegal to join our Calgary Generals Prosecution Office.
As a Paralegal, you will play a critical role in the Criminal Justice Division prosecutorial process, contributing significantly to the effective and efficient prosecution of serious and complex cases. As an integral part of the prosecution team, this position manages and assumes substantive and procedural legal work on assigned files to help ensure compliance with common law principles, legislation, and regulations.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Thoroughly reviewing and analyzing all prosecution case materials and preparing the file for litigation.
- Preparing disclosure packages by gathering, organizing and assessing documentary evidence, in consultation with Crown Counsel.
- Preparing Agreed Statement of Facts for review by supervising Crown Counsel.
- Drafting correspondence, reports, factums and other documents including complex legal documents.
- Taking a lead role in witness and victim consultation and management.
- Liaising with police agencies and/or other regulatory agencies, defence counsel and collaborate with courthouse representatives as required.
- Attending court to provide witness management services, analysis of evidence, and responding to enquiries.
- Performing comprehensive legal research and analysis to provide input to and/or prepare case summaries, briefs and written arguments.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong and demonstrated written, oral communication, consultation and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, professional judgment, and empathy.
- Strong and demonstrated analytical and research skills, including ability to analyze and synthesize legal information obtained from broad and varied sources.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the criminal justice system; legal theory; file management and court documentation and processes; early case resolution processes; legal research techniques and processes; and police investigative techniques and respective Criminal Code requirements.
- Strong and demonstrated problem solving and time management skills coupled with excellent organizational abilities.
- The ability to recognize and identify emerging trends, issues and information relating to assigned cases and the criminal justice system, and assess their potential impact and effect on prosecutions.
- The ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with stakeholders and partners; and function independently as well as lead and contribute effectively within a team environment.
Post-Secondary education in a related field coupled with four years of progressively related experience. Considerable related paralegal experience or a demonstrated ability to do paralegal work is required. Criminal Law experience is preferred. Equivalencies will be considered.
$2,462.53 to $3,051.15 bi-weekly
Final candidates will be asked to undergo security screening. This competition may be used to fill future permanent, and temporary, full and part time vacancies.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter and resume are submitted as one file. If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID 1021222, to: Jennifer Montes, Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, 2640 AMEC Place, 801 6 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2P 3W2. E-mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Fax: 403-355-4747. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) -
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Jennifer Montes at Phone: 403-355-4740 or e-mail: (email@example.com). If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check
for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: