Forensic Pathology Technician
Return to Previous Page
November 17, 2013
Justice and Solicitor General
Do you possess strong knowledge of anatomy? Are you looking for an opportunity to join a devoted team and utilize this knowledge? If so, we invite you to join the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner within the Justice Services Division.
For more information about Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, visit our website at:
Information regarding the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner can be found by visiting our website at:
The staff members of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner are committed to the provision of high quality services to Albertans. Activities performed enable the Office to certify the cause and manner of death in accordance with the Fatalities Inquiries Act; provide forensic service, assist in educating Albertans in time of grief; and develop and maintain a center of excellence in forensic pathology and toxicology.
This position is responsible for the technical aspects of the morgue operation.
These job duties include:
- Performing timely and accurate admissions of bodies to the morgue
- Assisting Medical Examiners with autopsies
- Providing assistance to the Medical Examiner during external examinations
- Performing x-ray procedures
- Executing clean up duties after each autopsy/external exam to ensure a safe working environment
- Assisting in the maintenance of all equipment to ensure compliance with standards
- Providing technical support to determine positive identification of deceased
- Liaising with law enforcement and funeral homes
- Releasing of bodies to funeral homes
- Participating in tours and supervising observers
The ideal candidate will have or be able to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Solid understanding of anatomy
- The ability to lift and/or manipulate up to 150lbs
- Working knowledge of FOIP and issues pertaining to high profile cases
- Attention to detail is required in order to ensure proper admission and release procedures are followed
- Familiarity with morgue environment
- Demonstrated respect for deceased and next of kin
- Clear and concise communication skills and the ability to understand and utilize medical and surgical terminology
- Ability to cope with high stress situations
- Dissection skills would be a definite asset
At least two years related experience and a recognized technical diploma in a related field. Experience as an EMT, paramedic or related biological/medical occupation is preferred. Equivalencies will be considered.
$1,839.49 to $2,375.98 bi-weekly.
This is a full-time position in Calgary AB. May be required to work shifts including weekends. Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening. This competition may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, temporary, or permanent vacancies.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter; resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. If you are unable to submit an electronic version of your resume, please submit your resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Kathleen Kane, Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, Human Resource Services, 1st Floor, Bowker Building, 9833 - 109 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2E8. Phone: 780-644-2349 Fax: 780-422-1330.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) -
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Kathleen Kane at Phone: 780-644-2349.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: