Return to Previous Page
November 13, 2013
Program Services 4
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (ESRD) are the proud stewards of air, land, water, and biodiversity aiming to lead the achievement of desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources for Albertans. For more information about the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development please visit our website at:
The Land Use Secretariat reports to a Stewardship Commissioner and works independently of a department. It is subject only to directives issued by the Stewardship Minister. The LUS supports development of the terms of reference for regional plans; leads development of regional plans in conjunction with departments with an interest in land-use (regional planning teams) and in consultation with the Regional Advisory Councils.
As the Engagement Officer, you will be responsible for developing strategic communication and engagement plans to support land-use planning and consulting initiatives. This will include developing consistent messaging on behalf of the Land Use Secretariat; developing communiques, presentations, speaking notes, briefing notes, etc.; overseeing development and production of land use publications such as consultation summaries, regional plans and regional results reports. You will also be expected to encourage and coordinate communications among land use planning partners including government and non-government organizations, industrial organizations, communities and land owners.
ABOUT YOUR COMPETENCIES:
- SYSTEMS THINKING to recognize plans within a larger context in order to improve environmental, social and economic health of Albertans.
- BUILDING COLLABORATIVE RELATIONSHIPS to establish and maintain strong network of communication specialists and knowledgeable brokers who can contribute to and leverage communication products as regional plans are developed, implemented, audited, reviewed and amended.
- COMMUNICATION skills to clearly convey and receive information from media, senior government officials and audiences who have varying perspectives, expectations, requirements and priorities.
- ORGANIZATIONAL AWARENESS to be able to understand Alberta government priorities and be able to address communications requirements within established guidelines and processes.
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING AND JUDGEMENT to handle communication issues related to land use interests that have significant implications for land owners, developers and land managers.
ABOUT YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This role, you will primarily be working in an office setting located in downtown Edmonton. You will have regular and on-going contact with other members of the team as well as with other divisions within Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, representatives from other Ministries and external multi-stakeholder groups.
A university degree in a communications, public relations or related field and a minimum 4 years of related progressively responsible experience is required. Experience in web writing, digital publishing, marketing, media management and editing is essential. Experience working with government communication process, policies and procedures is considered an asset. Equivalencies will be considered.
$2,596.42 to $3,403.56 bi-weekly ($67,766 - $88,832 per annum)
This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies across the Government of Alberta.
- Comprehensive and competitive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- Health Spending Account:
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Shelly Dohms, Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Human Resources, 4th Floor, Petroleum Plaza, South Tower, 9915-108 Street, Edmonton, AB, T5K 2G8. Fax: (780) 427-2513.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) -
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
To learn more about the requirements of the job, click here:
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Shelly Dohms at: ESRD.HRS@gov.ab.ca. We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: