Staff Auditor (Level 3)
Return to Previous Page
The mission of the Auditor General of Alberta is to serve Albertans by conducting comprehensive risk-based audits that provide independent assessments to help the Legislative Assembly hold government accountable. We audit over 175 organizations, ranging from government departments, universities and colleges, to the health authority and financial institutions. Our auditing of financial statements, performance measures and systems provides our clients, the Members of the Legislative Assembly, with information they can use to effectively oversee and scrutinize public spending.
Legislative auditing provides you the opportunity to grow and hone your skills in the broadest of audit universes.
We are looking for an experienced professional with strong research, analytical and communication skills. Working in a team environment, as a staff auditor, you will participate in auditing the Government of Alberta's financial statements and systems. You will participate in the planning, execution and reporting of these audits. Responsibilities will include:
- Prepare the audit plan;
- Coach team members;
- Review the work of the audit team;
- Independently analyze complex issues;
- Monitor and communicate the progress of the audit project;
- Develop the relationship with the auditee;
- Assist in file completion, evaluate conclusions and provide recommendations; and
- Participate in presentations to auditee management, audit committee and board.
- A Canadian accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA);
- A detailed understanding of Canadian GAAP, in particular public sector accounting standards, and GAAS. Exposure to IFRS is considered an asset;
- A minimum of one (1) year's post designation experience that includes planning and executing large and/or complex financial statement audit engagements, including demonstrated proficiency with computer-assisted audit techniques;
- Demonstrated abilities in risk analysis, documentation and evaluation of controls;
- Superior organizational skills and experience with managing concurrent projects;
- Solid business acumen;
- Government operations experience at the municipal, provincial or federal level is considered an asset;
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with internal team members and auditee senior management;
- Experience in mentoring and coaching junior staff;
- Strong communication skills written and verbal presentation; and
- The desire for continuous learning and development.
How to Apply
The position is based in Edmonton, AB, however some travel is required.
Final candidates will be asked to complete a security screening.
Visit our website at www.oag.ab.ca to learn more about our role as legislative auditors and to see examples of our public reports.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Angela Karwal of the Auditor General, 8th Floor, 9925 109 Street, Edmonton, AB T5K 2J8. Phone (780) 422-6788; Fax (780) 427-5080. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: