Litigation Evidence Assistant
Return to Previous Page
July 26, 2013
Legal Administration 2 (015LAA)
Justice and Solicitor General
The Litigation Evidence Assistant is primarily responsible for providing senior legal assistant support through the use of technology to the Civil Litigation team under the direction and guidance of the Litigation Evidence Coordinator. This position requires regular liaison with lawyers and support staff, and on occasion outside vendors or client ministries. The successful candidate will require the ability to understand complex technology in addition to having knowledge of legal process and procedures in Civil Litigation.
- Uploading paper and electronic evidence to the litigation support software (eScan-It, LAW, Summation); preparing schedules and other materials in order to prepare Affidavits of Record as well as uploading information allowing lawyers to use litigation technology to its fullest extent in running a litigation file.
- Managing electronic file transfers, uploading transfers onto our network, maintaining a central registry of electronic evidence, safeguarding electronic evidence and maintaining chain of custody to facilitate admissibility.
- Providing support to the Civil Litigation team or other Legal Services Division teams dealing with litigation matters and working closely with the eDiscovery/Electronic Evidence team providing litigation technology support in various areas.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An aptitude for technology
- The ability to work under tight deadlines
- The ability to produce an accurate and detailed work product under minimal supervision
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A positive, solution oriented, service focused and supportive attitude contributing positively to team morale
- The ability to monitor work performed by others and ensure protocols and policies are followed
- An understanding of various legal practices, especially in the Civil Law area for an accurate and precise process and expertise in preparation, filing and serving legal documents
- Knowledge of computers and software as follows:
* Advanced knowledge of Summation, or equivalencies
* Intermediate knowledge of IPRO E-Scan-It and/or LAW, or equivalencies
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
* Experience in use of FTP software and in processing eDiscovery data collections will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of the Alberta Rules of Court, Alberta Evidence Act, Class Actions Act, civil litigation process and procedures, and in particular, specialized knowledge surrounding the production of records and evidence in civil litigation
- A two year diploma in a related field and at least 2 years of related experience
- Experience using litigation support software or equivalencies is preferred
- Experience in securing evidence and maintaining chain of custody is considered an asset.
- Experience with summation is considered an asset.
- Equivalencies will be considered
Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening. This competition may be used to fill future permanent and temporary vacancies. Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred! Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of their application. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter; resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file.
If you are unable to apply online please email your cover letter and resume in one file to Nicole Ford at Nicole.Ford@gov.ab.ca
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Nicole Ford at Phone: (780) 427-2942.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position.
** Please have a valid email address on your cover letter or resume as only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted via email **
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: