Legal Counsel - Reporting to General Counsel
Return to Previous Page
Legal Counsel (Permanent, Full-time)
The Office of the Auditor General of Alberta, Edmonton
We are the independent auditor of every Government of Alberta ministry, department, regulated fund and agency. We audit their financial statements and the systems they use to meet their duties.
Our clients are the Members of the Legislative Assembly and, through them, the people of Alberta. We provide them with information they can use to effectively oversee and scrutinize public spending. We do this by performing a variety of financial statement and systems audits which lead to recommendations for improvements.
As an experienced professional with strong strategic, research, analytical and communications skills you will report to the Office's General Counsel. Your proven relationship-building skills will be put to use in working with a wide variety of stakeholders and staff. You will enjoy the challenge of working within a professional service organization and can successfully manage multiple initiatives.
Working with our professional audit teams, you will:
- review public sector management systems and draft recommendations for improvements
- provide leadership and advice, and have the opportunity to counsel and mentor
- research and draft documents on a wide variety of audit topics
- examine business processes across government
- have a solid understanding of public sector statutory interpretation and a proven acumen for legal research and writing
- provide advice on public policy matters including assisting in the analysis, drafting and implementation of initiatives
- have demonstrated advanced written and oral communication skills and will work effectively as part of a dynamic team
- participate in reviewing management letters and material appearing in the office?s public reports
An exciting permanent opportunity exists for an Legal Counsel who can use their broad legal experience to provide advice in the area of legislative compliance and recommending courses of action on various legal issues.
As the ideal candidate, you will have:
- four years at the Bar, ideally with an emphasis in practicing law within or for the public sector
- a law degree and eligibility for membership in the Law Society of Alberta
- experience in researching and drafting a wide variety of audit topics
- knowledge of value for money audits, research methods, government planning, accountability and decision-making processes
- superior organizational skills and experience with managing concurrent projects
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in the public sector and who have an understanding of accounting and audit issues. The position is based in Edmonton, Alberta. However, some travel is required. Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening.
Visit our website at www.oag.ab.ca to learn more about our role as legislative auditors and to see examples of our public reports.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume to Angela Karwal, Office of the Auditor General, 8th Floor, 9925 109 Street, Edmonton, AB T5K 2J8. Phone (780) 422-6788; Fax (780) 427-5080. Applicants who apply on-line will be able to track the status of their application.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: