Return to Previous Page
May 14, 2013
Legal Administration 2
Justice and Solicitor General
The Criminal Justice Division prosecutes persons charged with Criminal Code, Youth Criminal Justice Act, and provincial statute offences. The division promotes safe communities by vigorously prosecuting cases involving serious and violent crime and working with individuals and organizations in the community to identify and implement improved and alternative approaches to the administration of criminal justice. In addition, the division develops criminal law policy for the province and supports criminal law consultation with other levels of government.
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General have two Legal Assistant positions available; one permanent full time position and one temporary part time position to join their Crown Prosecutions team in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Facilitate pre-charge consultation and/or contact with stakeholders.
- Manage witnesses, including scheduling interviews, explaining the criminal process, answering and/or resolving questions and concerns.
- Liaise with external and internal stakeholders to ensure appropriate handling of criminal files.
- Manage, organize and maintain Crown files.
- Track and maintain disclosure.
- Prepare court brief (trial books).
- Prepare and file complex legal documentation such as Notices of Motion, Orders and a wide variety of other court documents.
- Respond to and follow up from enquiries from the public, defense counsel and the accused.
- Create and complete all forms of correspondence.
- Perform specialized ad hoc administrative tasks as assigned by the Chief Crown Prosecutor.
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- A comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational ability and attention to detail.
- Problem solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- A high degree of initiative.
Two year diploma in a related field plus 1 year related experience. Criminal law legal assistant experience would be an asset. Equivalencies will be considered.
$1,868.66 to $2,297.57 bi-weekly ($48,772 to $59,966 annually)
Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo security screening. This competition may be used to fill future permanent, temporary, full time and part time vacancies.
The temporary part time position is a 50% position for approximately 6 months.
Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. If you are unable to submit an electronic version of your resume, please submit your resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Brenda Swaray, Justice and Solicitor General, 2nd Floor, 108 Street Building, 9942 - 108 Street NW, Edmonton, AB, T5K 2J5. Fax: (780) 643-9425. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of their application. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter; resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Brenda Swaray by e-mail: Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Return to Previous Page
Default Local Node: